First Croatian Congress on Children and Youth Mental Health
The First Croatian Congress on Children and Youth Mental Health with international participation and under the title of “Children and Youth Mental health – Imperative for the Future” was organised by the Croatian Society for Children and Adolescents Mental Health of the Croatian Medical Association and held in the Dubrovnik Hotel in Zagreb, from 28 to 29 October 2016, under the auspices of the President of Croatia, Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović.
Prof.dr.sc. Gordana Buljan Flander delivered a talk under the title: “The role of the system in parental manipulation of children in divorce – are we participating in child abuse?”, and Domagoj Štimac, MD, chief physician, delivered a talk under the title “Evaluating child and adolescent victims of crime – can we meet their needs and fulfill the court requirements at the same time?”. Coauthors of that paper were Renata Ćorić Špoljar, clinical psychologist, and Ella Selak Bagarić, psychologist.
The President of the Scientific Committee of the Congress and invited lecturer was Prof. dr sc. Norman Sartorius, while director of the Centre for Children and Youth Protection of the City of Zagreb, prof.dr.sc. Gordana Buljan Flander and her deputy Domagoj Štimac, MD, chief physician were the members of the Organisational Committee of the Congress.
The Congress provided a review of contemporary knowledge and possibilities in the area of prevention, diagnosing, treatment and rehabilitation of patients with mental health problems and mental disorders in children and youth, but it also sensitized and taught the public about mental health problems in children and youth, as one of the biggest public health problems of 21 Century.
Themes at the Congress were:
• Development in Childhood and Adolescence
• Psychopathology in Childhood and Adolescence
• Neurodevelopmental Disorders
• Abuse and Neglect of Children and Youth
• Parenting, Family and Child and Adolescent Mental Health
• Modern Media and Children and Youth Mental Health
• Children and Youth at Risk
• Psychopharmacotherapy of Mental Disorders in Children and Adolescents
• Forensic Aspects of Children and Adolescents Mental Health
• Multidisciplinary Work in the Protection of Children and Youth Mental Health
• Organisation of Services for Child and Youth Mental Health Protection
• Challenges of Social Protection of Children and Youth with Mental Health Problems
• Education of Children and Youth with Mental Health Problems